Thursday, October 2, 2008

I'm a little grumpy. You got a problem with that?

I didn't think so.

I'm having a mood. Actually, I'm having a raging allergy attack, and at the moment, I feel pretty dang sorry for myself. It's times like this that I miss J the most. When I felt bad, he would always say "you poor baby" and then spend the evening doing all kinds of things to make me feel better (yes, even THAT - you gutter minds.)

Anyway, now I just sit here and pout and feel sorry for myself. But on the bright side, I have medication. My 3 best girl friends have gotten into those Get-to-Know-You e-mail things that go around and around a zillion times. I get one like every couple of days asking random things like "What's your favorite sound?" The most recent one I got asked "How do you relax?" So I replied "I take pills. Lots and lots of pills." They thought I was serious. But then I left the one blank about whether I had ever been skinny dipping and nobody believed that I hadn't. I might as well go ahead and do it if everyone thinks I already have. I was holding back for nothing apparently.

But anyway, about the pills, I was just joking. Really.

I got sidetracked again. I'm not feeling well, and I miss J something fierce. So it got me to thinking a lot about love tonight. In my whole life, I've only ever really loved 2 men: J and Peter Tork of The Monkees. Now follow along because I swear to you, this is all completely and totally true. Nearly my whole life, I've had one MAJOR CRUSH on Peter Tork. Every single person in my life who really knows me knows this one thing for sure. Nobody teases me about it because they know that I honestly have undying love for the man. And he actually does know that I exist (which I'll get to shortly). So my friends in college used to say that I would never be happy until I either got Peter Tork for myself or someone exactly like him.

The crazy thing is that I did! The first time I ever laid eyes on J, I looked at my friend S and said "I know that guy. I swear I know that guy." She said "you should, he looks exactly like Peter Tork!" I about passed out on the spot. She was right! J did look exactly like him - same face, same eyes, same build, same smile, same hair - right down to the bowl haircut. My other friends said "good lord, you have to have him."

Seven months later, thanks to the help of my wonderful meddling friends, J and I were absolutely inseparable. I was head over heels in love from the first date. He even had that same sweet innocent quality that Peter had. It was nuts.

He thought it was hilarious. He would kiss me sometimes and say "that was from me, not your other man." He was always such a good sport about it too. He even took me to see The Monkees in concert. He laughed and laughed when I ran out into the aisle and screamed to the top of my lungs "PETER! PETER! I LOVE YOU!!!!" And was thrilled for me when Peter actually looked over at me to see what crazy woman was screaming at him (this is how he knows I exist on the planet). Last year, I got a little package in the mail from one of my internet friends in Missouri. When I opened it up, it was a pack of photos she had taken of Peter Tork. She met him in person and didn't take photos for herself. She took them for me. Nice close up photos. She said he wasn't very nice. Oh well, 30+ years of crazy women taking your picture and screaming at you would probably make any man a little grumpy, so I cut him some slack. J's first reaction was "surely I'm not going to wind up looking like that at his age?" LOL. J put up with a lot of craziness out of me, but he loved every minute of it.

So tonight in honor of J and Peter Tork, the music is by The Monkees. Technicially, the first song was made without Peter and Mike Nesmith, but I still like it anyway. It's my favorite Monkees song. The second just has some nice photos of Peter in the video. It's a really good song too.

And just in case he should happen to be reading this, I still love you Peter. Call me, I'm available. I don't think J would mind.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, the answer to the favorite sound question is the sound of glass breaking. I'm crazy for it. Sometimes I just break stuff, so I can hear that sound.

Happy Birthday Dad! I love you!



No comments: