Monday, September 8, 2008

Randomness

I don't know why, but the most random things happen to me all the time. I mean there's really not much more random than having your husband die very suddenly and unexpectedly. I wonder if strange random things happen to other people too?

One time I was walking down the street with some friends when this random man came up and grabbed both my hands in his. He started to cry and said "Why did you leave me? The kids cry themselves to sleep every night. We just want you to come home. Please, come home." I was so shocked that I just stood there holding his hands. I felt so terrible for him that I entertained the thought of going home with him. He seemed so sincere and so sad. I actually told him that I was really sorry. What else could I say? Then he just let go of my hands and went on down the street. Seriously random.

Just this afternoon, I was driving over to get a haircut (yes I did) when I pulled up next to this guy who was standing at the corner waiting for the light to change. I looked over at him, and he gave me a big smile and a thumbs up. I must have stopped at the light really well, I guess. I appreciate the recognition. Or maybe he really liked the Car of Rage? It is pretty cute. It definitely wasn't about me personally because I was about 5 minutes away from being able to haunt the house all by myself with that horrible hair.

Good gracious, the world's biggest spider just crawled across the wall!! If J had been here, I would be standing in the yard screaming right now. But these days, I just have to suck it up and kill the vile things myself. Die Spiders Die! Dang that was scary. Good on me for not running into the yard first thing.

Does it strike you that I might be one of those people who is talking and then suddenly goes "ooh look - something shiny"?

J was like that too. Can you imagine a house with two people like that? A typical conversation with us usually went like this:

J: So who do you think will be the next President?

L: Well, I really like...was that a chicken?

J: I think it was a chicken. Do you want tacos for dinner? I have to get some garbage bags tonight.

L: Well, ok. I might as well call my mom then.

Seriously, it was like that all the time. It made sense to us for some reason. Sort of like when kids make up their own language.

Back to the random stuff.

One time when I was in college, the local symphony had a free concert in the park. My roomie and I went. It was really close to our apartment, so we just walked over. I stuck a few dollars in my pants pocket. My roomie brought her house keys, so I left mine at home. When we got home, I reached into my pants pocket to get the money and pulled out not only the money, but a little gold key. I didn't have it when I left the apartment. I never even saw it before. It wasn't mine or hers either. The only thing we could think of was that someone had put it in my pocket at the concert. And the creepy thing was that it was in the front pocket. How did I miss that? We used to sit around and make up stories about the key. Maybe it was to a locker down at the bus station with a million dollars in unmarked bills inside? Or maybe some spy was being chased and the bad guys were watching my every move now? I still have that key. I still have no idea where it came from or what it goes to.

There's tons of other stories just like that. Does that happen to everyone? Or is it just me?

Now about the hair, don't freak out. I didn't get it shaved off. It was just a trim, but it did set the universe back right again.

No comments: