Friday, January 2, 2009

The Cruise: Part One

So, I promised I would write about my adventure on the high seas. Here's installment #1:

Friday, Dec. 19:
We left around 11 p.m. and drove all night to my parent's house in Florida. I-75 is basically torn up between Macon and Valdosta in Georgia. It was a rough ride through there.

Saturday, Dec. 20:
Arrived at the parent's house early that morning. Now normally, Florida is the Sunshine State, but on this day it was all FOG - all day long. The land around the parent's house looks like a jungle. It was kinda' creepy being in the jungle and the fog. I kept expecting the Creature from the Black Lagoon to step out of the fog. It never burned off like it does here at home. We were all tired, so we basically slept all day. That night I decided that I should start wearing my seasick patch. So Mom put it on me at bedtime.

Sunday, Dec. 21:
I woke up with double vision, dizzy and barely able to stand up. The seasick patch was wreaking havoc on me. I went back to bed and tried to sleep it off. The fog disappeared finally, and it turned cloudy and windy. So much for the promise of sunshine and beach weather. Mom and Dad decided it would help me to get some air. So we drove out to the beach. It did help, but it was cold, cloudy and windy. It's hard to enjoy the beach when it's so yucky out. We drove around a little while and went back to the house. I was starting to feel a little better by then.

Monday, Dec. 22:
Up very early. Feeling very nauseous but not dizzy nor seeing two of everything anymore. Hit the road to Miami to get on the ship. Stopped to do some shopping along the way. Arrived at the Port of Miami around 1:30 p.m. I was left out by the curb in front of the Port building to watch the bags while Dad parked the car. When he didn't come back after several long minutes, Mom went to see about him. I snapped a few photos of the Port of Miami building while I waited. Then some people came up and posed to take a photo right where I was, but this BIG MEAN and very SERIOUS security guard came up and yelled at them that photos were not allowed here. Yikes, I guess he didn't see me take some or he would have yelled at me too. I stashed my camera in my pocket and tried to look very innocent. I did sneak a few more photos with my cell phone and sent them to friends back home. Finally got the parents back on track and went to check in. Went through security. Mom and I made it through with no problems. But poor Dad set off the alarm and had to be hand searched. He kept setting off the hand scanner even after he emptied his pockets and removed his belt. We were starting to worry that he wouldn't be allowed to board. Finally the security guy just gave up and let him go. I guess Dad looked pretty harmless and innocent. We went up to our room and put our stuff away. Then went to lunch. After lunch, we walked all over the ship and took a bunch of photos. It was a spectacularly gorgeous day out - absolutely perfect glorious weather. Then around 4 p.m. (about 2 hours after we boarded) the wind started to blow. By 4:30, the wind was blowing so hard that you could barely stand up out on deck. It turned cooler. The sky turned into this massive wall of black clouds out over the ocean. You could see other ships already out in the ocean. They were in a serious storm! At 5 p.m., we left the port and sailed right out into the middle of the raging storm in the ocean! All that night, the ship rocked and rolled. You could barely stand up and walk. You'd take a step and be thrown against the wall or knocked into someone else. Sitting at dinner was an experience. We never lost anything off the table, but we had a few close calls. We went to the show after dinner, but then immediately went back to our cabin and to bed. It was a pretty rough night.

That's enough for now. Come back for Part Two tomorrow.

I'll give you a little sneak preview:

The storm rages on. It gets worse - a LOT worse.


So I'm thinking it's got to be around 9 am in Africa about now. Wonder what Mr. C is doing? I wonder if he remembered to take his camera. He had wanted me to go with him on this trip, but I was already committed to the cruise. Sigh.

Before I left, we talked about how far apart we will be when I was in the Bahamas and he was in Africa - about as far apart as two people can be from each other. I wonder what will happen when he gets back home.

Been listening to this song a lot lately and yes, making myself a little miserable. Love KT Tunstall. She understands.

No comments: